Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

We often think of Memorial Day as a day that marks the beginning of summer, the day to barbecue, the day we get off in May but it is much more.

At the end of the Civil War, a day was set a side to remember the men and women who died serving our country. Those who perilously fought and gave their lives so that we could have better ones.

Just a reminder of what Memorial Day really is.

I luckily have not lost family in Iraq but I have lost friends. When I was in Germany awaiting my husband's return from Iraq, I was able to meet a wonderful man named David Ayala. He was humorous and friendly. Made you feel like you were the only person in a room of hundreds. A great guy. He, unfortunately, passed in Afghanistan leaving behind a devoted wife, Athena. I cried and found solace in friends who also loved David. I know to this day Athena is still doing what he believed in. Helping others. She has taken the survivor's benefits and returns to her homeland yearly in the Philippines and does mission work. I think that is what David loved her for. I think of him often and think of how sad of a loss it was. We need more people in this world like him.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete